apparent suicide at the peabody hotel

Death has unfortunately been around lately in full force. Apparently yesterday afternoon around 4:15 PM CST a man was on top of the Peabody Hotel in Memphis threatening to jump. And at around 4:20 PM, he finished up his cigarette and did just that. The picture below is where he jumped from and he landed on the lower level.

View Larger Map

Unfortunately for Dave, my wife’s brother, he happened to be walking right by at the time. He said he saw the police, the fire department, and the guy on the roof talking to someone (supposedly the hotel manager) who was trying to get him to come down. When he turned to walk away, not wanting to watch the horrific event, the man jumped and Dave heard him hit. It really shocked Dave as it would shock anyone who witnessed that. Somewhat surprisingly few news outlets have picked up on it. I read on Twitter that it’s because they don’t cover suicides. Twitter and social media is apparently the best way one would find out about this type of event or word of mouth of course. Here’s what Twitter has to say about it. What else can you say about it? I’m very sorry and sad that it happened.

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , , , , , ,

12 Responses to “apparent suicide at the peabody hotel”

1. Otto Says:
    August 11th, 2009 at 12:56 pm

The phenomenon of more suicides occurring after the media reports on a suicide is not only real, it’s well-documented. It’s called “Suicide Contagion”. Google for it. They proved it in Vienna back in the mid-80s.

So, all responsible media outlets now follow a certain set of guidelines when reporting on this sort of thing.

More info:

2. Kip Says:
    August 11th, 2009 at 1:15 pm

Yeah, we don’t ever report suicide. Ever. We may sometimes show up to a scene where a body was found only to figure out later that it was a suicide. We’ll walk away from the story.

We will however cover murder suicides. Dunno what exactly makes it different.

3. Bob Mcpherson Says:
    August 13th, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Hate to tell you but news channel 5 aired a witness telling about how she saw everything.

4. Jennifer Says:
    August 16th, 2009 at 4:38 pm

Jim, the man who died, was a friend of my family and will be missed

5. Peter Owen Says:
    August 17th, 2009 at 3:45 pm

I am sorry, Jennifer.

6. Brad Says:
    August 21st, 2009 at 8:18 pm

Jim was my good friend. I had known him since we were both children. He is sorely missed. The books I read, the music I listen to, nearly every aspect of who I am was influenced by him. I will say, for those who are reading about this, that this act was not ‘in character’ for him. Something had gone terribly wrong with him biologically or psychologically, he was not himself. There was nothing anyone at the scene could have done to have prevented his action. He wasn’t crying out for attention, he wasn’t the type, rather, I suspect he had simply grown tired of running from demons that had pursued him all of his life.

7. J.Klown Says:
    June 7th, 2010 at 4:43 am

that was my uncle, unfortunately i never knew him but i wish i could have, now i feel I have a big chunk of myself missing

8. deanny washburn Says:
    June 4th, 2011 at 9:24 pm

i was there no cops or fire were there when he jumped.

9. George Says:
    June 7th, 2011 at 12:25 am

Another man jumped yesterday from the Peabody Hotel. He was eighteen years old and had just graduated high school. I barely knew him personally, but it has deeply troubled me to know this is tangible to my own life, that it is real.

10. Jamie Says:
    July 25th, 2011 at 4:35 pm

The guy who jumped June 4th was my fiancé..he was an amazing guy and is greatly missed.

11. Don Says:
    February 10th, 2017 at 10:32 pm

Saddened to learn this, if some years after. Like Brad I too grew up with Jim and he and Brad were the core of my friend circle. I can confirm what Jaime says. He was an amazing guy. Very nice and fun loving. Sometimes he would say things and I would realize just how intelligent he was. Very sad to hear this.

12. Don Says: